About the Program
The Queensland Government provides specific support for the small business sector through the Big Plans for Small Business Strategy. The Business Basics grants program (Program) provides support to businesses to increase core skills and adopt best practice. The Program is competitive, meaning that applications are competitively assessed against the assessment criteria and not all applications get funded.
The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT) manage the grants.
Applicants can apply for funding for grant funded activities in one of five priorities:
- Training and coaching
- Website build/upgrades
- Professional business advice
- Strategic marketing services
- Business continuity and succession
The expected outcomes of the grants program are to:
- increase confidence for business owners across core skills;
- boost turnover, profit, and employment; and
- improve business survivability and resilience.
What funding is available?
There are two funding streams based on what Local Government Area (LGA) eligible businesses are headquartered. These LGAs are grouped into either South East Queensland or regional Queensland. If successful, applicants will receive upfront fixed grant funding of $5,000 (excluding GST). Successful applicants don't have to co-contribute to this grant; successful applicants must pay for any related expenses in excess of the $5,000 grant funding.
What is an acceptable supplier quote?
- Supplier name - as appears on the corresponding quote.
- Information - any helpful details of the quote.
- Quote amount (excluding GST) - be careful to input the GST exclusive amount. This is the subtotal.
- Supplier attachments - quotes must include:
- Supplier details - supplier's name, ABN (if Australian), contact details and website URL.
- Details of the grant-funded activity, description of services and outline of key activities.
Where possible, quotations must be a formal quote on business letterhead. A shopping cart print-out (including supplier's name) for online purchases is acceptable where a formal quote is not possible.
Who can apply, and what are the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible to apply for this grant, the business must:
- Fewer than 20 employees (by headcount)
- Operating and have an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Registered for GST
- Queensland headquarters and an operating address in the relevant funding stream
- Expected turnover of $300,000 or less for the current financial year
- not approved for funding under an earlier round of Business Basics; - have owners/directors that are not undischarged bankrupt1 ; and be solvent
The business must maintain their eligibility for the duration of the grant funded activity where reasonably possible.
What can I spend the grant funding on?
DESBT will fund the following eligible activities:
|1. Training and coaching||
• Business development, marketing, human resources, or business planning
• Training/coaching of up to 4 months in duration
|2. Website build/upgrades||
• Website build or upgrade (including website refresh)
• Adding ecommerce
• Developing new website content
|3. Professional business advice||Business plans|
|4. Strategic marketing services||Strategic marketing plans including search engine optimisation (SEO) advice|
|5. Business continuity and succession||
• Business continuity or succession plans
• Cybersafety training and tools
What can’t I spend the grant funding on?
DESBT will not fund activities with:
- a total cost of less than $5,000 (excluding GST),
- payments made on any activity undertaken before Grant approval
DESBT will not fund the following activities
- activities bought using cryptocurrencies, barter, or services in-kind
- general business operating costs (e.g., bookkeeping/accounting, tax returns)
- real estate/property, hire, lease, or rental fees
- goods, services, or fees from related parties*
- franchise fees
- purchase of stock
- GST, registration, and fees
- maintenance of existing digital technologies
- fleet vehicles
- computer hardware (e.g., computer servers, PCs, tablets\iPad, mobile phones)
- other hardware / devices / equipment (e.g., televisions, EFTPOS, card and chip readers)
- activities bought via direct selling (e.g., by party plan or network marketing)
- delivery, credit card and transaction fees
- memberships and joining fees
- website hosting
- implementation of marketing tactics such as advertising, direct marketing or campaign delivery (e.g. Google Ads, Facebook advertising or similar expenses)
The application must include the following documents:
- A signed and appropriately witnessed statutory declaration from the business’ owner or director stating the business meets all grant eligibility criteria; and
- Independent supplier quotes (no more than two), dated after the round launch, detailing description and costs of services, who will undertake the activity, and an outline of key activities. You will be able to upload one quote per supplier.
The two quotes should be for separate goods/services (from your preferred suppliers), not comparative quotes.
- Fully complete their application and provide all supporting evidence. Applicants will not have an opportunity to submit information or evidence (including correcting submitted documents).
- Original answers in their application.
- Their own applications - DESBT considers submissions or answers from third parties ineligible.
- Realistic and probable answers and evidence in your application. You may be required to provide this at any time at the discretion of DESBT.
DESBT will consider one application for a business or financial beneficiary under each round.
- Business Queensland Business Basics Grants